Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The talk of the week

The talk of the week is BONUS.

I got to know about it at last week's annual dinner party committee meeting. The chair was making a comment that some people maybe happier, or, not so happy, because by the time of the party, we would have known what we're receiving for our bonuses.


So, yes, after Monday's big email about this stupid special award, I'm talking about money again. $_$

I saw people from other departments went into meeting rooms, some having poker face in the meeting, some when they left the room, and some beaming brightly for the rest of the day. For our team, we didn't know our numbers until around 5pm. By 3pm, I started to think that maybe the rest of our team has already received the announcement and I have just missed it because I'm not getting any. It was such a relief (yes, I need money to pay tax and tuition) when the first teammate was called into the room to have the talk. Most of us took about 5 to 10 minutes to receive the letter and leave. My conversation with boss was crisp and short. He asked if I have any complaint about the raise. I mean... well, what can you do anyway? It's all fixed, isn't it? But 妙品 probably talked for at least 20mins and she looked like she has been ranting for the past full 20mins! Anyway, I won't know what other's getting because they won't ask me. And of course, I would not initiate any conversation like "so, how much is your bonus this year?"

This year's raise was actually less than last year's. But if I count the bonus into the whole package, the increase is, I have to admit, actually quite generous. I just did a very stupid spreadsheet summary (yeah, I kept all my payslips), and to my surprise, I found that what I've made in the past year and a half was actually more than what I have earned in my first three years of work. In fact, my annual compensation has doubled in 3 years.

But then maybe all of this is just a mathematical illusion? I always thought that my raise at my old company was phenomenal (always double digit growth, not in the teens but 2x or 3x%) even during economic downturn. So, I reckon that the numbers were so great because my base salary was lower when I first started. This means that the absolute change was high, relatively speaking, the percentage change would be even greater. So, I played around with the numbers and found that, in terms of percentage growth, my ex-employer was indeed comparably generous as my current one. And up to a certain point, given the same percentage change, absolute change would be greater than before. (argh... I'm not expressing the idea clearly , but anyway, I know what I mean!)

Anyway, my bonus this year has a portion that is vested and I won't be able to receive them until two years from now. What's worse (or could be better) is that they will not be received in cash, but in company shares (again!). My boss said that when the bonus reaches a certain bracket, a portion will become these stupid vested shares. Mine's not that much so it only takes up 10% , but it's still a lot to me! :'( He then emailed later saying that this is not to be discussed openly with other staff as not everyone will have this. Anyway, I wish they could be all cash. I mean if I really want to leave, will this 10% of the bonus make a difference? And if I'm joining a much better job, wouldn't the prospective company be willing to cover this "cost"? And maybe, I wouldn't care about this at all if I found my dream job? Using vested benefit to keep employees eventually will turn out to keep only the lemons. But oh well, companies will do all they could to protect themselves and their "resources".

Despite all the whinings, I am very grateful about my jobs. I didn't get into the job of what most of my college classmates did and I earned much less than they do/did, but I was lucky how I landed on both of my jobs. Yes, I whine/d a lot about this in the office and that about my job, but I am very grateful, still. Both of my jobs pay very well (in my own standard) and the workload is relatively light. People that I have to deal with are in general nice and I am not involved (not senior enough, obviously) directly in any of the office politics. The only thing that I'm not so happy with is - is this really something that I want to do? I always think that if I were married and my children were grown up so I no longer worry about my career path, this would be a fantastic job. But am I doing it at the right time in my career life? (Or, do I have a career to start off with?! And seriously, what do I want to do?)

If you are reading this, please don't read it as if I'm showing off. No... I never thought that someone would actually read my blog from the very beginning, so these are my real thoughts. It was supposed to be a place where I can nag and whine and babble and complain and make all sorts of mean and silly comments when I couldn't in real life. (Either no one will listen/want to listen, or I'll scare them away by showing the meanie and whiny me.) But if you've read up to this far, you might have already noticed that I talk about money quite often. Well, I admit that I'm somewhat misery (Mum has always said that I'm a miser "孤寒財主"). But when I don't have rich parents who will leave me a handsome inheritance or a wealthy husband who will provide whatever I want, I'll have to make plans for myself so that I won't regret later on about all the money spent and opportunities missed. And since I'm an only child, I would be having the sole honour to take care of my parents when they grow old (well, yes, they do save, but that's a different matter). Is it a burden? It could be, if I don't plan well now. But if they could have raised me when they were having a much more difficult time back then, why can't I now when I'm much better off? I know money isn't everything but I also know enough that "the more the merrier" works very well in every way when "the more" is referring to money.

Argh... enough of money talk and enough of side-tracking. I reinstate that I am grateful about my current situation and happy about my bonus and pay (tax, tuition, exam fees, insurance premium, and even Arts Fest tickets are all well taken care of!) , but there are a lot to think about what I really want to do in terms of career. So maybe, afterall, the talk of the week for me isn't really just the bonus, but something that requires far more contemplation.

4 comments:

  1. Great... I was just waiting for someone to talk about their career aspirations so that I can jump in and nag myself... ;P Now you're forced to read this as well.. HEEEEE!!!

    First off, you're thinking really maturely. And I absolutely understand why you think no one understands you - I was in a very very similar coil of thoughts a few years back. People who are older than I am would think I'm asking for unnecessary anxiety; peers think: you're young, enjoy and stop considering retirement plans, parent allowance, education funds for kids and mortgate payments. HEY!!! I am a real person and a real person needs to take care of all those that's why it's silly to be paying $20000 for an LV bag!

    I guess I'm somewhat like "cursed" in the workplace. For some reasons my jobs have never been too hectic that I need to disappear from everyone. I always handle things well, but the thing is there are always morons around me, which I can't tolerate. I need to be around smart people for inspiration and motivation. I need development in every aspect. I can let myself be inside of any comfort zone.

    BUT, the job is paying decently (enough to splash off from time to time and keep the family warm adequate).

    BUT, I can't be doing the same thing with no growth for the next 30 years. I remained stale for almost 2 years now, I need stimulation, an urge so that I move out of this zone.

    People think I'm crazy. The job allows me to leave on the dot of 5.05, I have enough $$, the benefits are great... etc, etc. I just can't.

    (I actually did leave for another worse-paying job in the past.)

    Now that there's no immediate rush, I'm waiting for another golden opportunity to come up.

    People think I'm crazy. :(

    (No, I'm grateful at the same time despite all the ranting.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! at least you got bonus! i don't receive any bonus in my job, it's fixed payment, although your bonus is complicate(cash-->company share), but still your money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to be grateful about your job. It's not showing off. Yes, we do have difficulties at work and we whine a lot, which I think is normal. But at the end of the day, you can see things in perspective and it's not that bad.

    Congratulation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. vicky: it's not really my money until the vesting expires in 3 years. if i leave any minute before then, i'm forfeiting that much of my bonus. this i think it's a scam because that means the company is really just prepared to award you the 90% for your performance in the past year. the 10%, well, either you're really loyal or a lemon (nowhere to go).

    ruth: thanks... i always think that we see other ppl's jobs are better than our own. good hours, better pay, glamorous title, huge companies. but we don't know what shit work they are taking on, we don't know how they have to spend the face time and not let it go wasted. we don't know if they are surrounded by idiots or horrendous backstabbers. the appearance is always good until we're in their shoes. so i think it's very difficult to find a perfect job. there's always bound to have some fault in it. unless i know exactly what i want to do and i know i'll want to do it for my whole life, otherwise without this clear vision and passion, it's difficult to hold onto it for a long time.

    aiya.. i have to go again. aulina, i'll get back to you tonight when i got home...

    ReplyDelete