Friday, March 16, 2007

E-mail etiquette vs fundamental politeness vs professionalism

OK Sunny.27C

My team handles regular reporting material, analysis stuff plus all sorts of internal ad hoc requests. Sometimes it's very frustrating to receive requests for things that have been done already and were uploaded onto a public drive or application somewhere. The internal "clients" are always able to find some sort of reasoning to make us send the data/reports to them directly instead of finding them on their own. This, I could sort of understand. Inertia is the greatest common characteristics among all human beings.

However, one of my colleagues (female. Yes, the long-tongued one) have serious problems whenever she receives requests of this sort. She will moan and groan and whine about the incapability of these people to locate a report. She will belittle the "clients" for not being explicit enough about what they are requesting. The below, which was received just now, is a splendid example that I cannot resist capturing it for records:

I ain't goining [typo: going] to spend time to go through the whole chain email to investigate what is being missed. Just tell me exactly what kind of reports you're after.
WOW.

And the "chain email" (chain of emails, I suppose) that she referred to was 5 very short e-mails, each with 2 or 3 sentences, which I have finished reading in, urgh, 1 minute?

I mean I don't know if professionalism really exists in our field/team, but I think there is still some trace of "servicing" in the nature of the job. And I always think that a person is a representative of the team/company when interacting with the "outsider". An "outsider would project the perception of your team/company based on your behaviour. That might not be a fair generalisation, but wouldn't you think that the like do gather and sometimes influence each other? OK, maybe this doesn't make sense, maybe there is no professionalism at all in our team, so let's put it aside. But, there is still a basic need of being polite! I mean, would you reply like this to someone that is a total stranger to you? (I might if that person was saying something totally out of all possibilities and was being a je*k.) Being frank and straightforward is a virtue sometimes, but I definitely classify the above reply as being blunt!!

If I ever receive an email like the above, I will definitely report it to the manager of that staff. I don't care if she can do her job well, or if she likes her job at all. But please, at least be a little more polite when replying my e-mail.

5 comments:

  1. heh heh... I would at least be polite even though I whine a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly loh...

    i whine a lot too :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. She don't like her job, she is suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of see where she's coming from. She has a point and very good one. Nobody should read through all the emails, sometimes like a novel or something, just to figure out what the request is all about. The request should be simple and direct, otherwise it's really a waste of time. If anything, I think the sender who makes the request is the one who lacks professionalism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. vicky: i think so, too.

    anon: i agree that requests should be simple and direct. no point in adding trouble when you're troubling the other party already. but at least she could phrase the reply a little better?

    ReplyDelete