Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Asking Questions in Class

One Fine, Rather Humid, Night.19C

There are two sessions of the first year students in my program. One has classes on one Tuesday plus Saturday afternoon, while the other has a full Saturday of 2 classes. This, of course, was only planned for the core courses, as the electives would have all sorts of different crazy time slots. So, somehow, the weekday + weekend session people don't really mingle with the full weekend session people. I guess it's quite natural - there is simply very little chance for us to see the other class. Even if we do, we have each formed our little circles and it was difficult to break into them. And why should we anyway, if we were just going to the other session because we couldn't make it to our own session?


Anyway, in addition to the different time schedule, it seems that some distinction has been drawn between the two sessions by our professors. My session has been repeatedly commented by various professors as a much quieter class. (One professor has nicely put it that we were the "smarter" class.) They always say that it must be because we are exhausted from work and so we don't ask any questions.

That could be true. But, I think that only constitutes 10% of the reality. I think it's just because my session has more people who have already learnt the material, and are shier to raise questions in class. There are a couple who always ask questions, but seriously, those questions are rather irrelevant. I also noticed that quite a few people like to talk to professors during the breaks. That is good use of time, I reckon. But sometimes I find it quite awkward that those people were really just trying to make conversation because they didn't have anything constructive to ask/talk to the professor. (But, well, social talk could be good. I guess at least the profs will recognise your face.) Then, time is not so well used, at least, maybe from the professor's point of view.

I admire those who ask questions or make comments in class. It is a bold act - you give in yourself to the possibility of being seen as a dim-wit when you ask an obvious question, or you confuse 99% of the class and people start labeling you as an outlier (which, could lead to an outsider). There is this "face" problem. And then, there is this problem of revealing your cards in your hands. Whichever it maybe, people (especially in HK) tend to keep quiet even when they are in doubt. Discussion forums are not popular either for similar reasons.

This then means classes are not very productive as there is no discussion. It is rather a pity, but that seems like how the classes are turning out now. People are afraid to talk - they are afraid to make mistakes. No new ideas are sparkled, no doubts are solved. Professors have to keep asking whether we have any question, as if to reassure themselves that we have been attentive and alert. Classes become boring and unnecessary. We might as well go home and finish the reading and write the exam on the assigned day. Professors may eventually become the person who falls asleep in class.

On the other hand, is it more constructive in the other session that has so many quesitons? I have been to their classes a few times, yet I could not determine. There were some good questions, but most of the time, they were asking questions that I didn't understand (or I couldn't figure out where they got the idea from to ask those questions). Maybe, I wasn't thinking as hard as they did. Maybe, I have gone to classes leaving my brain behind at home.

Maybe, I should start working harder and try harder to understand thoroughly what has be taught in class.

5 comments:

  1. question. I don't know how it works now. I used to teach evening adult class (yea, English and translation, what else can I do?). My classes were relatively small (with 3x people max), so questions and lecturing can be done rather effectively.

    I suppose you're talking about bigger classes, and in that case, shouldn't there be lectures and tutorials? I bet quiet lectures are alright with no questions asked. If it's a tutorial... no questions raised would be like a total waste of time.

    Of course that also depends on the class composition. When I went to evening tutorials, I found some of these classmates had't even read the materials beforehand. It ticked me a lot when they asked irrelevant questions. It's quite a time investment to go to any evening class, and I do want to make it worthwhile...

    Again, if the speaker / tutor sucks, I also skip. So much about the luck of bumping into a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "Advanced Harmony" class is about 1x people, there is a female classmate usually asked some stupid questions, there are some basic Harmony rules supposed should knew in "Harmony", then you go to "Advanced Harmony".
    she is really wasting my time as i was sitting there, sometime i guess she made some chances for her to chat with the male tutor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aulie: we don't have tutorials in these classes. we had 1 tutorial session before for another class which was exam prep, but the TA had no idea what's going on. it was a waste of time.

    i totally agree with you. ppl asks irrelevant Qs or Qs that they would have known if they do a little beforehand (or simply read the notes again). so, i feel v guilty of not doing pre-class prep. v lazy to do that. so i don't ask questions until i revise and find that i don't really understand. but there are these ppl, who are just asking Qs for asking Qs' sake. it's getting a little ridiculous.

    the prof of the other class i'm taking now actually uses bonus pts to induce ppl to talk. i'm seeing adverse results becoz ppl are talking non-sense. argh!!!!!!!!

    vicky: argh.. if i were you, i'd kill myself before her next question >_<~

    ReplyDelete
  4. what class are you taking?

    The legal course I am taking is a lecture-type course with over 200 students. I wouldn't have the guts to raise my hand to ask any questions. Well, i have to confess that I haven't get myself well prepared for class, so I actually don't have anything in mind to ask. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm doing a MSc in finance... but the background of my classmates is so diverse that discussion in class was not meaningful at all. i was quite disappointed by this...

    ReplyDelete