Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Shocks & Surprises

Sunny.22C

I was really shocked when I heard that my ex-big boss had a stroke and was hospitalised in ICU for a week. My ex-big boss is a Brit, mid-30s, married and gave birth to the most angelic looking boy I have ever seen (in live) just about two years ago. She ate healthily (at least she tried to, when I was still in the office), cranberry juice, half a Pret sandwich or panini, apple/banana/some other fruits. She also tried to work out every other day as her apartment building has a gym. Because of the baby she has to sleep early as well or she wouldn't have enough energy to take care of him and work at the same time (well, she has a maid)... ...

How possible could she be having a stroke?

Mum said maybe it's stress from work. There could be a lot of other reasons that we just don't know.

I don't hate or dislike her, but I honestly cannot say that I like her, let alone like working for her. Big part of the reason that I have left my previous job was because of her management skills and her personality. She is not a bad person, but she just isn't manager material and would be difficult to work with. She bad mouthed people publicly in the office, tried to forbid us to talk to each other in Cantonese because she doesn't understand... She thought money was almighty and people would stay for higher pay, but no, we lost 3 people in our team during one year when there was only a total of 5. I had the opportunity to promote to manager, but would I want to face a boss like that every day?

No.

That's why I ran away, without really thinking clear enough where I was running to. But that's history.

Anyway, she was actually quite nice to me and I wouldn't wish anything evil to happen to her so hearing her having a stroke wasn't anything pleasant but shocking. I've actually sent her a card before the Chinese New Year but I guess she hasn't got it yet because she hasn't been back to work yet. I've just run into her after lunch. She looked a bit weary but at least well enough to walk around the mall. Hope she'll recover her full strength soon.


And when you asked how was my work and my boss. I said fine. I so wish that I could tell you I have switched... to a much better place.

***

Had lunch with a friend today, received a couple of surprising news. Learnt that you're getting back with your XGF. Interesting... hehe... well, I wouldn't know which ex-gf that was but it's good news, isn't it?

***

This one came really as a surprise, even though I have been waiting to receive the news. But, I was really happy to hear it. Congrats, Jo dear!! I supposed my first trip to Bali would be to your wedding. I better locate someone to go with me or it'd be so weird for me to be there alone.

3 comments:

  1. I come to realise there is always chance for us to meet nasty bosses. one of my bosses has low EQ and always scolds my colleauges (including me, sometimes, of course) in a nasty way even for no-big-deal mistakes. Lucky for me she has been away from office for these several months, so my work life has been very peaceful lately.

    yet, we won't have the slightest idea to wish something bad happen to her. we are just not that type of person, right? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. no. when i was really mad at this ex boss of mine, i only hoped that the whole office has left her so that she could understand what is important to retain personnel... absolutely nothing bad like this. hopefully she'll recover soon. she still has a baby son to take care of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, i am also 30 something, when i heard that you ex-big boss......

    i really feel uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete