Thursday, August 24, 2006

Goodbye, Pluto!

T1.Occasional Downpour/Storm.27C

This is probably the most heartwrenching news of the week for us Scorpios. The astronomers of the International Astronomical Union have finally come to a decision to oust Pluto from our very own solar system, leaving us and our future generations with only eight classical planets.

According to the new guidelines to classify a planet: "a celestial body that is in orbit around the sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a ... nearly round shape, and has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

Pluto is automatically disqualified because its oblong orbit overlaps with Neptune's. (via Yahoo!)

Apparently, planet demotion has also happened before. According to the same news article, the asteroid, Ceres, was also a planet in the 1800s but then demoted later on.

So, gone is its representation in the solar system, but what about its symbolism and all that jazz in astrology? Now that Pluto is deprived of its planetary status, does it also mean that its astrological explanation will be discredited? If so, then all the profiling on Scorpio will no longer be valid, and my belief of what sort of a person I am, or the group of people that I belong to will disintegrate. The part of myself, which I used to think that I'm oh so Scorpio, will no longer exist. So long, Pluto! But, does it also mean goodbye, Scorpio? Does this astronomical decision really conjure a need to redefine the characteristics of Scorpio? I hope not. I suppose zodiac signs rulership is not restricted only to planetary bodies in our solar system, but any meaningful heavenly bodies that the astrologists could find an explanation for. Only with this assumption can I resolve my doubt on how solid the personality analysis of Scorpio is, based on its relationship with Pluto. And with that I can sleep tight tonight without wondering what sort of person I really am.


[Photo of Pluto and its moon, Charon, via CNN.com/NASA]

No comments:

Post a Comment