Monday, August 06, 2007

Turkey Floss Candy

Occasional Showers.26C

A colleague from the next team just returned from his Turkey/Egypt tour (I'm so jealous!) and has brought back a box of traditional floss halva for us as souvenir.

It's basically a whole fluffy ball of sugar, flour, vegetable fat and some other substances. It flakes if you try to break it apart, but the core is tighter than the outside, so when you cut it apart, the whole thing doesn't collapse. It's really sweet if you stick the whole candy ball into your mouth, but it's ok if you just take it bit by bit.

Well, I'm not a sweet person (in whichever way you want to interpret that), so it's really not my thing. The texture is interesting, you can somehow taste the flour... Most of my colleagues said that it tastes like the traditional Chinese silver strand candy (龍鬚糖) and Mr. Chan (my neighbouring colleague) said that it tastes like the almond cookies from Macau.

Um, I wonder...

[photo above: the shiny thing in front of the box is the real candy.]

5 comments:

  1. It even looks a bit like �sŽ�}...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 個樣都係龍鬚糖喎!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah... but its strands are not that "strong". it breaks very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 好似會甜到牙都軟埋...

    ReplyDelete
  5. carrie: 也有點...不過我是超愛吃棉花糖的人,所以只要是"對"的甜,我還是回樂意接受.不過,這種糖的口感和after taste都怪怪的.not my type of candy :P

    ReplyDelete