Friday, April 07, 2006

Trailer! Trailer!

Cloudy(Again!).Breezy.22C

We have strived past the movie world into the trailer world. It just seems to me that a 1-minute trailer is able to tell you the story and lures me into the theatre to find out the details. Maybe it only works for the curious people like me. But often times, you will still be unable to resist the temptation to find out yourself how good the movie is, regardless of what and how many negative things you have heard about it.

That said, ever since I've seen the photo of Anne Hathaway (why is she not blonde?) posed against Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada, I kept placing their faces in mind when I read the novel. I'm half way through the book now and I despearately need the trailer to supply me with more images and vignettes to finish off the book. (I have actually skim-read the ending, which is something that I highly suppress myself from doing usually. So it tells how "interesting" the book is right now...) Honestly speaking, the book is all movie material: glamourous setting, gorgeous costumes (all brand names!!), beautiful babes (both gender!) and all sorts of unfortunate events (i.e. orders from the unreasonable boss). But the flow of the book is just not smooth enough. It's in Manhattan so it should also have this sense of urgency, which keeps the whole thing going and makes it difficult for the reader to stop. But no... Unfortunately, there were too much moaning and groaning which drags the pace, and yeah, it's funny at the beginning, but not anymore after you read the same for the next 20 pages or so. And for goodness' sake, this is not a saga or literature masterpiece, I'd be very grateful if the chapters can be cut down half to around 25 pages or so.

And that's why I really want to see the trailer. It'll work both ways: to see the movie is to judge how much better it will be than the book itself, and then I can just give up the book altogether. And if the trailer is not good then I'll just forget the whole thing about the movie and the book. [note: I'm trying to find an excuse to stop reading the book. :P] I guess sometimes word of the mouth is really not a good way to pick up a book. Rule of Four was one instance, this is another. Oh well... Anyway, the movie poster is SUPER. To all those suffering from the Boss from Hell:

No comments:

Post a Comment