Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Crying baby & Droopy Sheep

Stuffy.Cloudy.And it's BLOODY 27C

How is it possible that at the mere beginning of April, which is supposed to be the nurturing spring, that we have already climbed to a high of 29C?! I can only proclaim that the world has gone mad! (At least the climate has, if not everything/one else in the world!)

****
I'm useless when it comes to watching movies. I mean I can cry during almost every movie that I watch. Here are a bunch of movies that I've watched lately (mostly were watched on the planes) :
Casablanca (finally!!) - nope (!)
Brokeback Mountain - teary but didn't cry
2 Become 1 (天生一對) - cried a little
Before Twenty, Before Too Old (b420) - didn't cry but was quite touched
Mrs. Henderson Presents - cried a little
Where the Truth Lies - nope (i think I yawned a bit)
Inside Man - nope (don't think there's any touching moment...)
Aeon Flux - nope (because it's pretty crappy)
The Family Stone - cried a little when Meredith handed out the portrait of a pregnant Sybil out to everyone as Christmas present
Elizabethtown - cried a little
North Country - cried a little
Well, I suppose if I didn't cry (unless it's a comedy) it means that the movie (1) is not intended to make me cry, (2) is crappy, or (3) I simply have no interest in it (but then usually i don't watch movies that I'm not interested). Brokeback and Casablanca were somehow the exceptions because they are supposed to be the tear bombers.
Brokeback Mountain is, admittedly, a very beautiful movie, but it's not something that touches me. If the element of homosexuality were stripped away and replaced by hetereosexuality, would it make the story as compelling and controversial? I think not. I doubt if anyone would actually pay a good HK$70 to watch this sort of old tale, let alone shedding a few tears for them. What Ennis and Jack did was a true and simple illustration of infidelity. But what moved a lot of people or stirred up the heat is that they were both men. And, they were born in a very conservative time/area. That means it's not really the "what" and the "who" that were the touching elements in the movie, but the "when" and the "where". As for the "how", I'm sure the couple in any other odd movie would go through a similar track.
As for Casablanca, I have truly no idea that I didn't find it the least bit appealing. The acting were stiff. The story was plain (it's supposed to be touching!). The editing was rough. I suppose I just don't appreciate classical movie as much as I have expected. I remember watching Gone With the Wind and falling asleep in the middle, and so we (Helen and I) had to watched it in 2 parts because we simply could not follow the story any longer. But I remember that watching the Audrey Hepburn movies were fun. I should start watching the VCDs of her movies which I've bought from HMV a while ago!
****
I didn't buy much from this trip to Auckland as there was nothing much to buy. But at the airport, this funny little toy has caught my eye - a droopie sheep. It's just a cute looking, sleeping sheep, presented in a form of soft toy, and stuffed with a battery and a switch (hidden in one of its rear hoof). When you pressed the hoof (i.e. pressed the button), the droopy sheep will start to snore. Well, snoring isn't cute most of the time (try to sneak a look at your Dad when he's sleeping & snoring), but this sheep defines a new image of snoring. It's just as cute as a baby!! What's more, it doesn't only snore, but it inhales and exhales (i.e. the body of the toy expands and contracts to mimick the look of breathing)! Since I have grown into a habit of collecting sheep (only cute ones) collectibles, the droopie sheep of course has immediately made its way to my collection. I've taken a 30 sec clip of the whole snoring routine, but the file is too big to post it here, so here's a picture of the lovely sheep instead:
lala~ sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment